Position Announcement Date: October 01, 2018
HEALTHY GENERATIONS AREA AGENCY ON AGING
Position Title: Travel Trainer
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Starting salary of $13.00 per hour.
Reports to: Mobility Manager
Position General Summary:
The Travel Trainer, under the auspices of the Mobility Management Program known as Mobility Options is responsible for teaching and instructing a targeted regional population (older adults and persons with disabilities) to travel safely and independently on the local fixed-route bus system known as FRED (FREDericksburg Regional Transit.)
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design and Conduct individualized and/or small group travel training sessions to successfully train customers to travel independently using the local bus service.
- Design presentations on how to ride the local fixed-route bus system.
- Generate outreach efforts within the community (Virginia Planning District Commission 16) to promote the use of the local FRED fixed-route system.
- Possess the ability to understand and articulate the policies and procedures of the FREDericksburg Regional Transit fixed-route system to trainees of the Travel Training Program (specifically) as well as to the public in general if called upon.
- Able to understand and articulate the safety and accessibility features of the FREDericksburg Regional Transit fleet vehicles to trainees of the Travel Training Program (specifically) as well as to the public in general if called upon.
- Ability to communicate effectively with trainees and the public with diverse backgrounds, which may include languages other than English as well as individuals with significant disabilities (physical, developmental and/or intellectual.)
- Be well versed in all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA,)
- Advocate as necessary in the creation and implementation of Route-Deviations as applicable for trainees/passengers.
- Attend and participate in events within the community to promote Travel Training.
- Act as an ambassador for Travel Training as well as the promotion of local fixed-route transportation whenever possible.
- Post-secondary education is preferred in any one of the fields of education, counseling, social services and/or transportation
Specialized computer skills set requirements:
- Experience in using a desktop and/or laptop computer with an ability to access the Internet and generate e-mail.
- Knowledge of Microsoft (Outlook.)
- Ability to present Microsoft PowerPoint presentations in group/public settings.
Other Position Functions:
- Possess the ability to work independently and effectively without direct supervision
- Ability to travel independently throughout the local planning district.
- Able to stand, walk and travel on the FREDericksburg Regional buses for extended periods of time which may include inaccessible areas and adverse weather.
- Be highly organized with good time management and problem-solving skills.
- Have intrinsic knowledge of the FREDericksburg Regional Transit system and bus routes in the field of public transportation in general.
- Have in-depth knowledge of the local Planning District (to include the City of Fredericksburg and the Counties of Caroline, Spotsylvania and Stafford) and be able to identify places of interest for trainees and other interested parties.
- Possess a basic knowledge of computer literary.
- Experience in public speaking while very helpful is not necessary.
- Work closely with Mobility Options staff to assist potential client referrals for whom fixed-route transportation within the region is appropriate.
- Be comfortable working one-on-one with clients or with small groups, given circumstances and the need of the client(s).
This position is part-time (15 hours per week.) There are no benefits of any kind with this position. This position will be double-encumbered for a period of up to three weeks (to include working directly with the outgoing Travel Trainer.) The position will be housed within the Transportation Building at the Healthy Generations Area Agency on Aging campus located at 460 Lendall Lane, Fredericksburg, VA 22405. Please submit a resume (references would be recommended) to this office electronically or through the USPS. Applications/resumes will be accepted for this position beginning Monday, October 01, 2018. Virginia State Background Check and VA DMV current Driving Record documentation required. This position will remain open until filled.