Transportation services provide a vital connection to our community. Mobility Options, a program funded in part by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation, provides transportation education, information, and referral services, FREDericksburg Regional Transit Travel Training, and limited door-to-door transportation services to Fredericksburg area seniors and people with disabilities.
- Transportation Education, Information, and Referral Services:
- Before You Give up the Keys– A resource available through the National Aging and Disabled Transportation Center to help learn, prepare, and act to “Create a Roadmap for Transportation Independence”.
- Transportation Resources Guide – A comprehensive guide that includes information about public and private transportation providers, taxi cabs, and app-based transportation companies that serve the Fredericksburg Region. To be added to our Provider Guide, please contact us!
- FREDericksburg Regional Transit Travel Training:
- Take FRED Instead – Fredericksburg Regional Transit (FRED) provides accessible, affordable and safe public transportation throughout the Fredericksburg region, including the City of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County and Stafford County. Healthy Generations Mobility Options program supports FRED by offering complementary Travel Training Services to area seniors and people with disabilities who have access to the system.
- Why Transit? It’s cost effective, reduces traffic congestion and air pollution, fosters independence with same day travel and no need to make advanced reservations, and it promotes healthier habits!
- What is Travel Training? A free educational program designed to help interested users be safe and gain confidence while learning to navigate transit system. One-on-one and group training is available. Our Travel Trainer is also available to provide Train-the-Trainer programs to interested businesses, agencies, or groups who want to teach others to Take FRED Instead!
- Limited door-to-door transportation for seniors and people with disabilities:
- Low cost, door-to-door transportation may be available for seniors and people with disabilities who live further than ¾ of a mile from the nearest FRED Transit bus stop, do not have access to a vehicle, or can not access alternative transportation services. Users must complete a Transportation Assessment over the phone. Rides are scheduled first-come, first served up to 30 days in advance. A limited number of slots are available each day. For more information please review our Mobility Options User Guide.
- Sponsor a Ride!